Day 6: I Have Returned!

Day 3 The Big Deal

Went to the hospital to check in. I was so thirsty, since I wasn't allowed to drink (or for that matter, eat anything.)

At the hospital, got changed into a gown, and given an enema. Which was nasty, but not as nasty as the Ginseng Lemon Saline laxative experience.

Around 11 I was sent into the queue for the OR, and I didn't get anesthetized until at least noon. Nurses kept asking me if they could get me anything, to which I usually replied with “a cheeseburger.” None of them actually brought me a cheeseburger.

Tuesday night I was drugged out of my mind.

Day 4 & 5: Recovery

Wednesday was a long, long haze. I was on morphine, and any level of concentration made me incredibly queasy. Reading the Phantom Tool Booth was just too much.

Thinks started getting much better on Thursday. My IV came out. I was eating more, got to stand up out of bed for the first time in forty eight hours, although it tended to make me woozy. I got to take a nice shower, but wasn't feeling up to walking back to the room, so I took a wheelchair.

I drank some Mountain Dew for the first time in a while, since I was feeling better (in terms of pain), and really needed something sugary and caffeinated. I drank more than I probably should have- two of those mini cans, and feel asleep for a nap around 2.

Around 5 I woke up, and was in a lot of pain. I buzzed hospital staff, told them I was in pain and needed some pills. They said they'd come right by. No one came for over 20 minutes, and I buzzed them again and finally got someone to come down. I was just about in agony. It turns out that my urine bag attached to my catheter was full, and so my urine didn't have anywhere to go. My bladder was straining itself. They emptied the bag, gave me some pills, and I was better. However, I'm very very pissed off about this (har har, pissed off, get it?) I've talked to one of the Hospital Staff who said she'll look into it for me and talk to her, and offered to file a complaint. I'm also going to make sure to file one personally when I'm ready to leave, because I find is suspicious that she didn't actually ask me to sign anything. There's multiple staff members on duty, and there's no reason they couldn't have sent someone down to check on me during that time. Ignoring someone who has just called you asking for painkillers is so downright neglectful, I don't even have words for it.

So far, day 6 is going great. I couldn't get my wireless to connect, so mom picked up a cheap modem and a free AOL disk, and here I am back on the internet.  I'm more active than ever today- going up and down, to the shower.  My blood drainage tube came out today.  All that's left for cords is the catheter, but that doesn't come out until my very last day here.


2 thoughts on “Day 6: I Have Returned!

  1. Victor says:

    Woo-hoo, you didn’t die!

    Hey, could you email me the emails of Nice Matt and Late Matt?

  2. Daniel says:

    Awesome news! Glad things are going (fairly) well.

    I’d have kicked someone’s ass for the catheter incident. Jesus.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: